Tuesday, April 24, 2012

world book night

after work tonight i came home, changed my clothes (sported my "attack of literacy" jersey) and went down the street with a box of free books under tow. roughly thirty paperbacks of two titles. i gave a few copies away to the people who would look eye with me as we passed or eyed the open box under my arm. i made my way down the street and setup in front of a small grocery. as people came out i offered anyone who would listen "free fiction," and immediately i realised what i thought was going to be a ten minute process (because who turns down a free book, right?) was going to take much longer. at first most people wanted nothing to do with me, some actively avoid me; i imagine they thought i was pushing god. one woman stopped. "wait, you're giving away free books?" slowly people gathered. some people wanted a full summary of each title before making a selection. some were simply gracious to be randomly gifted a free novel. some had read one title. one had read both. but many stayed around and spoke to each other about the books; didn't hurt that i was giving out zeitoun in new orleans. for a few moments, and almost immediately, a small community gathered under the art of literature and the joy of reading. it was amasing and i was pleased to be a part of it.
this experience was brought to me by world book night.
ps. i have a photo for this post but new blogger won't let me upload it. the more things change... (posted)

No comments:

Post a Comment